Federal Skilled Trades Program

federal skilled trades program

How to apply for the Federal Skilled Trades Program

In order to qualify to apply as a Federal Skilled Tradesperson you need to meet all of the following criteria:

  • Have at least two years of full-time work experience (or an equal amount of part-time work experience) in a skilled trade within the five years before you make an application
  • Meet the job requirements for the skilled trade you are applying under
  • Obtain the required CLB levels in all sections of an approved language test
  • Have the required settlement funds for your family size
  • Have an offer of full-time employment for a total period of at least one year from a Canadian Employer OR a certificate of qualification in that skilled trade issued by a Canadian provincial or territorial authority (foreign trade qualifications do not count)
    • If you do not meet either of these criteria you will not be eligible to apply under the Federal Skilled Trades Program.
Number of Family Members
(Including Principal Applicant)
Required Amount of Funds
1$ 12,669
2$ 15,772
3$ 19,390
4$ 23,542
5$ 26,701
6$ 30,114
7 $ 33,528

Canada welcomes people of all skill levels under their various immigration programs yearly in order to ensure that all gaps in the Canadian workforce are filled by qualified foreign nationals. The Federal Skilled Trade Program gives those who have the necessary skills and experience in a trade occupation the opportunity to immigrate to Canada. Unlike the Federal Skilled Worker Program, the Federal Skilled Trades program is more restrictive in who can apply. The program is open to those in Canada or outside of Canada, but the main difference is that the Federal Skilled Trades Program requires the applicant to have either a Canadian Trades Certificate OR a job offer from a Canadian employer. Trade certificates issued by a country other than Canada cannot be used when applying for this program.

Canada Abroad proudly offers various services specifically aimed at helping you immigrated to Canada. You can view our services page to find out more. Click HERE