Title Image

Dependent Children

i32If you are a Canadian Citizen or a Canadian Permanent Resident, you can apply to sponsor your Dependent Child for Permanent Residency as long as you meet all of the requirements as a Sponsor.

Canada defines a “Dependent Child” as someone who:

• Is under the age of 19 and does not have a spouse or common-law partner,
• Is 19 years of age or older and has depended largely on the financial support of a parent since before age 19 because of a physical or mental condition.

If you are a Canadian Citizen, you can be residing outside of Canada when you apply to sponsor your spouse. If you are a Permanent Resident, you are required to be physically present in Canada when you apply to Sponsor your Dependent Child.

You can choose to Sponsor your Dependent Child while they are outside of Canada, or can sponsor them from within Canada if they are able to enter Canada. Certain individuals who require a visa to enter Canada may not be able to obtain a visa to enter Canada and allow you to apply from within Canada.

There are no financial requirements to sponsor your Dependent Child like there are for the Parent and Grandparent program.

Your Dependent Child will have to undergo a medical examination and criminal background check (if 18 years of age or older) with their application.

Read more about sponsor family:

Rating of  Average of 4.75 on a total of 8 Ratings