Can a Study Permit Lead to immigration

Can a study permit lead to permanent immigration

Canadian Study Permit

Many people who are looking at studying in Canada want to know if a Study Permit Lead to Immigration?

The answer is maybe.

For some, they may be able to apply for Permanent Residency immediately after graduation depending on the field of their study, their level of completed education in Canada, and which Province they studied in. Several Canadian provinces offer Provincial Nomination Programs specifically for those who have graduated from a Canadian Educational Institution. Click here to read more about these Provincial Options.

For others, they may first need to obtain a Post-Graduate Work Permit. Click here read more about Post-Graduate Work Permits.

If your Post-Graduate Work Permit is issued for one year or longer, you may then be eligible to apply for Permanent Residency through the Canadian Experience Class depending on a variety of factors including,  your age, your level of completed education, your English / French language skills, the type of work you did while on your Work Permit, any other work experience that you have in any other country, and if you are married, your spouse’s level of completed education and your spouse’s English / French language skills.

For some, there will unfortunately be no options available to them if they are unable to meet the full criteria of any of the permanent residency streams which Canada offers. In most cases, this will be due to the applicant being too old once they graduate to reach the minimum criteria required as most programs are now points based. Being of a certain age can preclude you from gaining essential points required to meet these criteria. It is important to keep this in mind when looking to study abroad, and to actually calculate if you would be able to meet any of the required criteria once you did graduate to ensure it is worth investing the money to study abroad, or if you will likely need to return home once you graduate.

Read more about studding in Canada: