Title Image

Parents or Grandparents

Sponsor Parents/Grandparents – What you need to know

Sponsor Parents/Grandparents

If you are a Canadian Citizen or a Canadian Permanent Resident, you can apply to Sponsor Parents/Grandparents for Permanent Residency as long as you meet all of the requirements as a Sponsor. To Sponsor Parents/Grandparents you must be living in Canada.

There is a quota of 10,000 new applications per year. The quota for 2016 has been met. New applications can be submitted as of January 3rd, 2017.

The Sponsor will be required to meet certain financial requirements in order to Sponsor Parents/Grandparents

• You must submit your Notice of Assessments for the three years immediately preceding the date of your application
• You must show that for each of the three years preceding the date of your application you earned the amounts listed below + 30% (When calculating your family size include yourself, spouse, dependent children and the number of people you are sponsoring)
• These amounts change yearly. Check back in late 2016 for the amounts required for 2017 submissions.


Number of Family Members
(Including Principal Applicant)
Required Amount of Funds
1$ 11,931
2$ 14,853
3$ 18,260
4$ 22,170
5$ 25,145
6$ 28,359
7 or more$ 31,574


You will be required to sign an undertaking stating that you will provide financial support to the relatives you are sponsoring for three to ten years from the day they become a Permanent Resident of Canada.

Your Parents/Grandparents will have to undergo a medical examination and criminal background check with their application.

Sponsor Parents/Grandparents – Want to chat more?

Read more about sponsor family: