Federal Skilled Worker Program

Watch this quick video to find out more

In order to qualify to apply to the Federal Skilled Worker Program, you need to meet all of the following criteria:

You have at least one year of continuous full-time (or an equal amount in part-time), paid work experience within the last ten years in an 0, A or B occupation
You can achieve a minimum score of a CLB or NCLC 7 in all sections of an approved language test

You have completed a High School Diploma equivalent or higher

You can earn a minimum of 67 points based on the Federal Skilled Worker Points System (see breakdown below)

You have the required amount of settlement funds for your family size (see breakdown below)

You are not inadmissible to Canada

More about the Federal Skilled Worker Program

The Federal Skilled Worker Program is one of Canada’s most popular immigration streams. This program allows individuals from around the world to apply for Canadian permanent residency based on a variety of factors which include age, educational, work experience, English or French language skills. The Federal Skilled Worker Program does not require a job offer in order to be eligible, nor does it require any Canadian work experience, making it the easiest Canadian immigration option for prospective immigrants from around the world.
Any application under the Federal Skilled Worker Program now goes through the Express Entry system. There is no longer a Skills Shortage List as there was prior to 2015. Now you only need to prove that you have at least one year of full-time paid work experience in what they call a skilled occupation. This includes all occupations which are management positions, occupations usually requiring university education and occupations that usually require college education, specialized training or apprenticeship training. This now includes over 8,000 different occupations. Applications for permanent residency submitted for this program are typically processed within six months as they are submitted through the Express Entry system.

Let our experts simplify the process for you

Settlement Funds

You will be required to prove that you have enough money to support yourself and your family after you arrive in Canada unless you are already working in Canada on a valid work permit. This money cannot be borrowed and must be available at the time of application. This money cannot be used for the immigration process and must remain available up until the day you arrive in Canada.

For each additional family member: $ 3,414 (CAD)

Proof of funds

Federal Skilled Worker Points System

This tool lets you estimate your Federal Skilled Worker score to see if you would be eligible to apply to immigrate to Canada as a Federal Skilled Worker via the Express Entry System.

Calculate your points below

You need a minimum of 67 points to qualify for the Federal Skilled Worker Program

Step-by-step instructions on how to apply as a Federal Skilled Worker

The simplified process of applying to immigrate to Canada as a Federal Skilled Worker is outlined below. If your application is approved you are then granted Permanent Resident status in Canada. After living in Canada for three years within a five year period as a Permanent Resident, you may qualify to apply for Canadian Citizenship.

Step Three

Have your education assessed by a designated organization

Step Five

Wait to receive an Invitation to Apply

Step Six

Increase your Comprehensive Ranking System score, if required

Step Seven

Receive an Invitation to Apply

Step Nine

Wait for your application to be assessed and approved within an average of six months

Step Ten

Obtain your immigrant visa and Confirmation of Permanent Residency document (COPR) and immigrate to Canada!

Available Programs

The Express Entry system is a file management system used by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) for certain immigration applications. The Express Entry . . .system is used by anyone seeking to immigrate to Canada as a Federal Skilled Worker, Federal Skilled Tradesperson, member of the Canadian Experience Class or certain Provincial Nominee programs. If you do not meet the requirements of one of those four programs, you will not be eligible to use the Express Entry system.

For those individuals who may need additional points for the Express Entry System, Provincial Nominations can add 600 points to their score. Most Provincial programs require a job offer . . . , while some will select individuals without a job offer if their skills are in demand in that specific Province or if their Comprehensive Ranking System score is high enough.

The Canadian Experience Class is for those who have previously worked in Canada, on a valid work permit, in a skilled occupation for one year or longer on a full-time paid basis in the past . . . three years and are proficient in English or French.

The Federal Skilled Trades program requires applicants to either have a full-time paid job offer in their skilled trade in Canada or they need to physically travel to Canada to write a . . . Canadian Red Seal examination before they would be eligible to apply under this program. This program also uses the Express Entry system and would require applicants to be proficient in English or French.

The first, and most popular option for those looking to immigrate to Canada is the Federal Skilled Worker program which uses the Express Entry System. This program . . . is designed for those who have at least one year of full-time paid work experience in any country in the world and can score high enough on the Federal Skilled Worker points system. The points system looks at age, completed education, language abilities in English and French, full-time paid work experience and previous work or study experience in Canada, or if you have any direct relatives living in Canada. This program does not require a job offer.

For those who have an entrepreneurial background and are looking to start a business in Canada or purchase an existing business in Canada, there is a large variety of programs . . . available depending on the type of business you want to open or purchase. Some programs require you to have a substantial personal net worth and invest a minimum of $200,000 or more into a business, while others have no financial requirements and focus more on your business plan and whether or not you have the finances available to support your business plan. With most of these options, you would first, be issued with a temporary work permit, and then if your business was successful, you would be able to transition to permanent residency. These programs would also be used by anyone looking to own and operate a farm in Canada.

Check out our podcast and YouTube channel for everything Canadian immigration