Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) Coming Into Effect

Effective November 10th, 2016, certain travellers will need an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) to enter Canada.

The eTA would need to be applied for before boarding your flight to Canada. You can apply online at a fee of $7 Canadian per eTA. You will need access to your passport, a credit card (Visa and Mastercard only), an e-mail address and the internet. The government has stated that eTA applicants should receive an e-mail confirmation of the outcome of their application within minutes of applying. They have even stated on their website that should you land in Canada without an eTA you could apply on any device connected to the internet before clearing immigration, although it is advisable to plan ahead and obtain the eTA before boarding your flight. Once an etA has been issued, it will be valid for five years, or until the expiry date of the passport you applied on.

If you received your study or work permit on or before July 31, 2015, you will need to apply for an eTA if you wish to enter or return to Canada by air. If you received your study or work permit on or after August 1, 2015, you were automatically issued an eTA with your study or work permit. No further action is required; however, please ensure that you travel to Canada using the same passport you used to apply for your study or work permit.
Citizens of the following countries, traveling on this country’s passport with need an eTA:

  • Andorra
  • Antigua and Barbuda
  • Australia
  • Austria
  • Bahamas
  • Barbados
  • Belgium
  • British citizen
  • British overseas citizen who is re-admissible to the United Kingdom
  • British overseas territory citizen who derives that citizenship through birth, descent, naturalization or registration in one of the British overseas territories of:
    • Anguilla
    • Bermuda
    • British Virgin Islands
    • Cayman Islands
    • Falkland Islands
    • Gibraltar
    • Montserrat
    • Pitcairn Island
    • Saint Helena
    • Turks and Caicos Islands
  • Brunei Darussalam
  • Chile
  • Croatia
  • Cyprus
  • Czech Republic
  • Denmark
  • Estonia
  • Finland
  • France
  • Federal Republic of Germany
  • Greece
  • Hungary
  • Iceland
  • Ireland
  • Italy
  • Japan
  • Republic of Korea
  • Latvia
  • Liechtenstein
  • Lithuania
  • Luxembourg
  • Malta
  • Monaco
  • Netherlands
  • New Zealand
  • Norway
  • Papua New Guinea
  • Poland
  • Portugal
  • Samoa
  • San Marino
  • Singapore
  • Slovakia
  • Slovenia
  • Solomon Islands
  • Spain
  • Sweden
  • Switzerland

Those with the following situations will also need to apply for an eTA before entering Canada:

  • Persons who have been lawfully admitted to the United States for permanent residence (United States Permanent Residents).
  • Holder of a passport or travel document issued by the Holy See.
  • Holder of a national Israeli passport.
  • Holder of a passport issued by the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region of the People’s Republic of China.
  • Holder of a passport issued by the United Kingdom to a British National (Overseas), as a person born, naturalized or registered in Hong Kong.
  • Holder of a passport issued by the United Kingdom to a British Subject which contains the observation that the holder has the right of abode in the United Kingdom.
  • Holder of an ordinary passport issued by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Taiwan that includes the personal identification number of the individual.

If you have any questions or queries on the process, contact us directly for more information.


[email protected]

+27(0)11 011 9022